Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wikis

...good for reference, but can you trust 'em?

I feel lucky that wikis, along with most internet technology, weren't around when I was studying. Recently my brother, who is tutoring at the moment, told me about two students who were failed for plagiarism. This particular instance showed just how stupid some people are. Imagine it, these students ripped something straight out of wikipedia (reliable?), didn't acknowledge it and submitted it as a piece of academic work. Apparently the lecturer for the course gets sick and tired of the work that goes into monitoring plagiarism. But I suppose that's a side issue...

I have actually been looking forward to this exercise, as it gives me a chance to tie in a little project I've been working on...



Using wikipedia as my reference too, I've looked up simply the number 108. The entry contains quite a few good references to the significance and special power of the number (would you ever have known 108 was a tetranacci number if you hadn't looked it up on wikipedia?) Funny on that point that the link is actually to an article on fibonacci numbers, or one step better "similar integer sequences".



And my project (in case you're still interested)? I started a little while ago taking some photos with my camera phone whenever I came across the magic number. In the course of an ordinary day I have photographed street numbers and car number plates. To date I only have a few photos but had an idea at the outset to build the number up to 108.
This seems something of a trend with artists and poets and for some reason I've noticed in particular photographers. Among others, Allen Ginsberg published a book of 108 of his own works. It seems people with at least a hint of Eastern influence tend to do so... There is also a straight-edge hardcore band who call themselves 108. In my opinion they are pretty atrocious, and for that reason I won't be posting any links to anything to do with them.

No comments: