Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Blog About Technology


A few steps forward, a few steps back...

Now that I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel, I have to go backwards and try to tie up some loose ends I have left with some of the earlier exercises. The first is a little blog about technology (in 150 words or less)...

नो वहत वौल्ड यू लिके मी तो राइट अबाउट ? थिस इस कुइते अमजिंग, इसन'टी आईटी ? इ वोंदर हाउ मानी ओथेर पीपुल हवे प्लायेद विथ थिस...

That was a nice little exercise, don't you agree? It was a simple task made possible by tools available on this very page. But is it technology (टेक्नोलॉजी)?

Why on earth it has a Devanagari (Hindi) script and not Chinese, Japanese, Russian or Hebrew for that matter? Is that a sign of things to come? The above is a transliteration rather than a translation of a couple of sentences I just wrote, using Hindi phonetics. A transliteration back into English?

Now what else would you like me to write about? This is quite amazing, isn't it? I wonder how many other people have played with this...
And now to the point of this exercise, a word or two on technology: I have played around with other Hindi alphabet programs and found the one here to be much better. For starters, it is phonetic in that it will transliterate a word as it sounds rather than how it is written, taking the whole word rather than each individual letter.
My technology wishlist? At least in relation to my newly found टेक्नोलॉजी, I have been thinking wouldn't it be great to take a written work and just run it through a simple program to have it translated. A bit idealistic, obviously, but it'd be terrific, don't you think?

जाय श्री राधे!

1 comment:

proud womon said...

Didn't play with it myself... but there are a lot of comments about it in blogger help groups... apparently they'll be introducing other languages in the (near?) future - don't know which ones though... glad you're still playing around with blog!!!!